We’ve been treated to some incredible weather in the last few weeks and the warm temperatures are due to continue throughout the summer.
We all know how important it is to take care of ourselves in the heat, including slapping on the sun tan lotion and drinking lots of water.
So when dad-of-three Adam Schaub started to go a bit red when he was working outside cutting up logs with his dad, he decided it was a good idea to take a break and down a few bottles of cold water.
However he soon realised it was a huge mistake, and has now issued a terrifying warning about the dangers.
Adam’s dad was a bit worried about him while they were working in the scorching heat, so sent him off to sit in the air conditioned car to cool off.
He did this and drank two bottles of cold water very quickly, hoping that would sort him out.
But before long he started to feel extremely ill and “strange”.
Speaking to Mirror Online he said: “Honestly at the time I just felt like I had maybe worked a bit to hard sawing up trees and that I was sweating profusely from it.
“I had drank water earlier but apparently not enough to keep from getting myself sick.
“It was odd because after chugging both bottles of water my head went a bit foggy and I felt confused.
“I was sitting in my dad’s truck when it got real bad though.
“My hands and feet were tingling heavily as it they had just fallen asleep and my stomach was turning.
“I felt like throwing up so I opened the door to not do it in my dad’s truck.
“I attempted to stand down and apparently caught the ground with my face and no hands.”
Luckily his dad had seen what was happening and rushed over.
Adam’s eyes had rolled back and he was unconscious for a few minutes.
His dad wiped the blood out of his eyes and called for an ambulance.
Adam, who lives in Houston, said: “He thought it might have been much more severe because he didn’t know where the blood was from.
“I heard him talking in the background but much of it felt like a muffled dream.
“By the time they got there I was feeling much better.
“The guy helped me up and we talked for a bit about it.
“They wanted to take me in but honestly I just wanted to head home to see my son and fiance.”
Adam admits he didn’t know drinking too much cold water too quickly could be so dangerous, so wanted to share his story with as many people as possible.
Adam has two daughters and one son, and his eldest Holly is currently in hospital after suffering a devastating aneurysm which led to a seizure.
He shared a photo of his bloodied photo of himself after the sunny incident on social media.
He said: “Looking back at it now I wish I had drank more water throughout the day and I can think of several other times that I have done the water thing to myself that I could have been avoided knowing what I know now.
“I decided to post it to remind people that we’re all human and can make mistakes and to hopefully prevent someone else from going through what I did or worse.”
Dr Sarah Jarvis, GP and clinical director of Patient.info, explained what she believed happened to the Sun .
She said: “If you drink something very cold, very quickly, the cold on the roof of your mouth stimulates the nerves around there.
“That in turn leads to rapid contraction, then expanding of the tiny blood vessels in your sinuses.”
“The brain interrupts the messages from these nerves as coming from your forehead, because the same nerve supplies your forehead.”
She said this normally results in a sudden pain and it can make you feel lightheaded.
Adam’s message in full
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
So we’ve all heard not to drink really cold water in the heat, but a lot of us haven’t heard the why or experienced it first hand.
Cold water is good, so how could it be bad? Well, yesterday I found out.
We were out working in 100° weather (not a good idea in itself) when my dad noticed my face was getting pretty red and suggested that I take a break. I immediately grabbed a cold bottle of water and drank it.
After he did a little more work he suggested that I get in the truck and blast the air conditioning in the truck I drank some more cold water (another bottle) and very shortly started feeling strange.
I started seeing spots, my stomach got extremely nauseous and my hands and feet started tingling.
I felt like I was going to throw up so I opened the truck door and the next thing I know I’m face first in the ground and my dad’s rolling me over and wiping off my face.
He said my eyes had rolled back a bit and I didn’t come to for a few minutes. Emt arrived and asked what was going on.
Immediately the guy knew what happened.
Apparently, if you’re too hot and chug a bottle of cold water, it can send your body into shock.
It thinks that the stomach is going hypothermic and so it takes the warm blood and sends it to the stomach. You can lose consciousness. He said cold water is good, but only in sips.
Room temperature water is better if you need fast rehydration. Just figured I would share in case anyone could benefit from my mishap.
Summer’s just around the corner. Stay cool. Feel free to share if you think it could help someone.
I wish I had learned this a long time ago.
Adam and his family are trying to raise money to help with Holly’s medical treatment.
To donate to their cause click here .