Neymar’s proposed return to Barcelona looks close to finally becoming a reality after it was reported that the Spanish club have agreed a deal with Paris Saint-Germain.
It is a transfer saga that has dominated the summer, with Barca and PSG having been locked in talks for a number of weeks trying to thrash out an acceptable offer for both parties.
It is thought officials from both sides met in Paris on Tuesday to try to come to an agreement.
And according to BBC Sport Barcelona’s offer of £182million plus defender Jean-Clair Todibo, midfielder Ivan Rakitic and forward Ousmane Dembele on a season-long loan will be accepted by PSG.
It is a big breakthrough in negotiations, although the next crucial point is that all of the four players involved must agree on personal terms.
BBC journalist Guillem Balague said: “It is not done. There is still a big bridge to be crossed because none of the three (PSG) players have said they want to go.”
Agreeing terms could be particularly tricky in the case of Dembele, who previously intimated that he had no interest in moving to Paris.
His agent Moussa Sissoko recently told Telefoot: “Ousmane stays 100 per cent. There is no chance he will leave. He wants and will prevail at Barca.”
However in this instance he may have been referring to a permanent move, and his client may be more open to going out on loan for more first-team experience before returning to Barcelona .
It is looking more and more likely, meanwhile, that Neymar has played his final game for PSG in what has largely been an unsuccessful spell at the club.
He has not been involved in any of their three Ligue 1 matches this season and manager Thomas Tuchel said he would also not be included in the squad to face Metz on Friday.