Public outrage as Kenyans demand action after Ternan crash

Kenya News

Kenyans on social media are furious over the government’s laxity to end road carnage.

More than fifty people were killed on Wednesday when a Kakamega-bound bus rolled at Fort Ternan tunnel in Kericho. The bus veered off the road in the 5 am crash. 

President Uhuru Kenyatta, DP William Ruto and Opposition chief Raila Odinga are among the leaders who sent condolence messages to the families of the victims.

However, this did not go well with some of their followers who trolled them.

While some accused the government of taking Kenyans’ lives for granted, others said the corruption is to blame for such accidents.

Read: [VIDEO] Death toll in Fort Ternan crash in Kericho climbs to 50

Some questioned why a bus without a license to operate at night passed all roadblocks without being stopped by police officers.

Others called for the sacking of Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia.

Senate Speaker Kenneth Lusaka, Health CS Sicily Kariuki, Baringo senator Gideon Moi, Busia governor Sospeter Ojaamong’ and his Turkana counterpart Josephat Nanok also send condolences on social media.

Bungoma senator Moses Wetang’ula said in his tweet, “The return of the nightmare on our roads through accidents is unwelcome. Offenders must be punished to deter recklessness”.

While demanding compensation for the victims of the accident, Wetang’ula said law enforcers sleeping on the job are equally guilty!

Businessman Chris Kirubi said, “My heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those who lost their lives in the tragic road accident at Fort Ternan in Kericho this morning. Let’s take care and exercise the greatest amount of caution on the roads, we are losing too many lives”.

Read:Fort Ternan crash: Bus lacks night travel license, NTSA blames court for lifting ban

Kenya Red Cross Secretary General Abbas Gullet said there are no words to describe the tragic loss and the pain families are going through.

Gabriel Oguda said before the accident in Fort Ternan, the number of fatalities in 2018 had already surpassed the 2017 figures.

“Time to shake up the Transport ministry, Mr. @UKenyatta, before you’re left with no Kenyan to lead,” he said

Norman Magaya said it is unbearable pain and that Kenyan roads are dangerous death traps.

He said the NTSA should be held responsible for dishing out TLB licenses to unroadworthy vehicles.

Another user by name Youth leader said, “Condolences can never resurrect the dead nor prevent more death! We Demand SAFETY & SANITY on our Road Transport! If those entrusted with this responsibility cannot live up to it we demand their resignation now”.

Click here for the latest political news


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *