Trump to sign order which may BAN U.S. firms from Huawei dealings amid spy fears

Trump to sign order which may BAN U.S. firms from Huawei dealings amid spy fears

US News

Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order that could potentially stop US firms dealing with Chinese telecommunications company Huawei.

Sources told Reuters news agency that the US President plans to bar American companies from using technology made by firms that pose a threat to national security.

Washington believes equipment made by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, the world’s third largest smartphone maker, could be used by the Chinese state to spy.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo previously warned the UK about ‘security risks’ over its potential 5G deal with Huawei.

Critics claim the Chinese Government may use Huawei technology to spy on other states

Trump previously said he wanted the US to ‘win through competition’ and not by blocking advanced technology

The expected executive order, a presidential power equivalent to federal law, has been under consideration for more than a year and has repeatedly been delayed, according to the sources.

The directive would invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which gives the President the authority to regulate commerce in response to a national emergency that threatens the United States.

The order will direct the Commerce Department, working with other government agencies, to draw up a plan for enforcement, the sources said.

If signed, the executive order would come at a delicate time in relations between China and the United States as the world’s two largest economies ratchet up tariffs in a battle over what U.S. officials call China’s unfair trade practices.

The United States has been actively pushing other countries not to use Huawei’s equipment in next-generation 5G networks that it calls “untrustworthy.”

Trump is expected to sign a directive that could stop US firms dealing with the Chinese company

Huawei insists its technology could not be used for spying

In August, Trump signed a bill that barred the U.S. government itself from using equipment from Huawei and another Chinese provider, ZTE Corp.

In January, U.S. prosecutors charged two Huawei units in Washington state saying they conspired to steal T-Mobile US Inc trade secrets, and also charged Huawei and its chief financial officer with bank and wire fraud on allegations that the company violated sanctions against Iran.

The Federal Communications Commission in April 2018 voted to advance a proposal to bar the use of funds from a £6.9billion government fund to purchase equipment or services from companies that pose a security threat to U.S. communications networks.

Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai said last week he is waiting for the Commerce Department to express views on how to “define the list of companies” that would be prohibited under the FCC proposal.

The FCC voted unanimously to deny China Mobile Ltd’s bid to provide U.S. telecommunications services last week and said it was reviewing similar prior approvals held by China Unicom and China Telecom Corp.

Trump’s Secretary of State warned the UK about security risks over its pending deal with Huawei

Huawei has been implicated in stealing trade secrets in the US

 

The issue has taken on new urgency as U.S. wireless carriers look for partners as they rollout 5G networks.

While the big wireless companies have already cut ties with Huawei, small rural carriers continue to rely on both Huawei and ZTE switches and other equipment because they tend to be cheaper.

The Rural Wireless Association, which represents carriers with fewer than 100,000 subscribers, estimated that 25 percent of its members had Huawei or ZTE equipment in their networks, it said in an FCC filing in December.

At a hearing Tuesday, U.S. senators raised the alarm about allies using Chinese equipment in 5G networks.

The Wall Street Journal first reported in May 2018 that the executive order was under review. Reuters reported in December that Trump was still considering issuing the order and other media reported in February that the order was imminent.

Huawei, which has repeatedly denied that its technology could be used by the Chinese state for spying purposes, did not immediately comment.

The White House and Commerce Department declined to comment.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *